Is there hope for a better year?
It’s a new year and where are we America? I desperately want to think positively of 2022. I wanted to think positively of 2021…but that didn’t really work out now did it?
Being Irish (mostly), some Scottish, some German and who knows what else, I believe in luck. Furthermore, I believe that you can change your luck and that begins with positive thoughts and positive acts.
So here goes…Happy Birthday 2022! I’m counting on you! We all are!
I have to say while remaining hopeful that we’ve had a rocky start to this brand spanking new year.
1) Insane Gas Prices: why did we close the pipeline and give up energy independence again??? Anyone???
Remember: “Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!” -Ronald Reagan.
Well, how about: “Mr. Biden! Open that damn pipeline!!!” -Me
2) Rising Food Prices and Empty Shelves: is it all “supply chain” – which is what exactly? Is this just a misnomer? Are people hoarding again? Are we being duped? I would like to know what’s really going on, wouldn’t you?
Gee maybe devaluing our own currency and printing money is a bad market strategy after all.
I’ve heard our nations leadership blame the empty supermarket shelves on everyone from the farmers to the truckers to the supermarkets.
I don’t know about you but I don’t know anyone who works harder than farmers. I know that I’m not getting up at 5am to milk the cows or tend the herd and I’m certainly not blaming the guys and gals who do.
The truckers? My uncle drove a semi…that’s no easy life! It’s long days and nights away from home, with extreme traffic, stress, and all while remaining alert! I can do about 4 hours in a car before I go completely bats! My vision of hell is that they give me this job to do for all eternity.
What about the supermarkets that remained open all throughout the height of the Covid epidemic? After a brief stint working in a supermarket, I can tell you these folks work their butts off. While working this job I didn’t have to worry about tracking my steps because I logged over 15,000 daily!
Are we seriously blaming them for empty shelves? The next time you go to the market, please say thank you to the employees who work there busting hump and dodging customers to keep the food on the shelves, while earning low wages and logging terrible hours.
As for management, running a supermarket and trying to make a profit is a nightmare. They’re dealing with government regulations, FDA, employment issues, perishable goods, and now “supply chain” issues.
3) COVID – OMG!!! Why are we still dealing with this!!! We have the vaccines which we were promised would be our saving grace. Yet somehow none of what we were told ever added up right.
Pretty much everyone I know including myself was sick for Christmas. There was lots of Covid under the Christmas tree and especially for fully vaccinated folks. What gives??? Does anyone else feel like we’ve been sold a bunch of baloney at a filet mignon price???
4) Rising Crime and Changing Public Support for Police Officers. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2021/10/26/growing-share-of-americans-say-they-want-more-spending-on-police-in-their-area/%3Famp%3D1
6) Afghanistan- Lest We Forget! https://www.hrw.org/news/2022/01/13/afghanistan-taliban-takeover-worsens-rights-crisis
7) School Closures: what did our youth learn in 2021? How many suffered and continue to suffer from issues with mental health? I was very proud of the parents here in Loudoun County for their resolute efforts to get our children back into the classrooms and to raise serious concerns about the current curriculum. As parents we have to fight for our children, because no one else will.
Hope, where art thou?
My hope is that 2022 will be the year of the independent American, the free thinker, the doer, and the questioning American. That it will be the year of taking a stand, righting wrongs, and banding together. Division has gotten us nowhere. Hiding in our homes has rendered us fearful and lost. We can’t afford another year of cowering and doubting ourselves America. Our children are watching. And the world is watching.
In 2022 we need a spark to ignite and rejuvenate American ingenuity, strength, unity, pride, creativity, honor, hard work, spirituality, and patriotism.
Let’s go…America and 2022! I believe in you!
“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” – Ronald Reagan